What is a Portable Application?
A Portable Application or Portable App is computer software or program that does not need to be installed on your PC. It can be run by just double clicking the exe file of the application. You can carry the portable application on USB flash drives or USB disk, portable hard disk, Pendrive, iPod or any other portable storage device which can be attached to your computer. Portable applications can run on any computer given that the operating system they are compatible to. There are some advanced softwares that are used to make any application portable.
A portable application designed for Windows will run on Windows PC and Linux one works on Linux machines only. A portable application does not leave behind any files and registries on the host computer. Obviously the main advantage of portable applications is their portability and ease of use.
Major Features of Portable Application
- Works from any device (USB flash drive, portable hard drive, iPod, etc)
- Works as you move computers and your drive letter changes
- Doesn’t leave files or folders behind on the PC
- Doesn’t leave registry entries behind except those automatically generated by Windows
- Is optimized for use on removable drives
- Doesn’t require additional software on the PC
- Doesn’t interfere with software installed on the PC
Where to download Portable Applications?
There are many websites on internet offering portable applications but you have to be very careful selecting them as some of them may contains malware or viruses. Some of the trusted sites from where you can download portable apps are –